Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Adventures in Cooking: My Attempt at an Easy Kings' Cake




Thank you to P&G’s Have You Tried This Yet? program and Kroger for sponsoring my writing about trying new things and breaking out of my everyday routine. Click here to find great savings on high-performing P&G products at a Kroger store near you. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.


Yesterday morning, since it was Mardi Gras and we are originally from Louisiana,  I decided it would be a great idea to take a Kings' Cake to Jordan's preschool class.  Having come up with this idea at the last moment, I knew I wouldn't have time to bake a proper Kings' Cake so I figured I should be able to use refrigerated cinnamon rolls considering they are kind of a cinnamon roll ring anyway.  Because this would be for preschoolers I elected not to include a baby or bean to avoid choking.  I also had to use glitter colored gel because I could not find any purple sugar, and I went to 3 stores!

The cake took 2 cans of refrigerated cinnamon rolls to make.  Opening one can at a time, I unrolled the cinnamon rolls as best I could, this is not as easy as it sounds! I then pinched them together, forming a ring.  The second can I then did the same thing on top.  While I was putting it together I wasn't really sure it was going to work.  It wasn't coming together exactly how I had imagined it would.  Once I got it all pinched together in a ring with most of the cinnamon in the middle, I baked it exactly as it said on the package.  After pulling it out and letting it cool, I iced it with the included icing then drizzled the purple, green, and orange gels (the best substitute I could find for the sugars.)


Once it was decorated I was actually quite impressed.  It may not have been a proper Kings' Cake, but it wasn't bad for a 20 minute "throw" together.  I decided I actually kind of liked the drizzled gels because it looked like the beads that Kings' Cakes are typically draped with.  At any rate, the kids had no idea that it wasn't just right, they didn't know what Mardi Gras is until it was explained, briefly, as to why I had brought them a cake.  All in all I was quite pleased and the cake and the masks I'd brought to go with it were a big hit with Jordan's class.


No comments:

Post a Comment